Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sorry Miss Thisbe

It's true, I stole the name of my blog from the title of this chick's short stories. I read this collection by Thisbe Nissen when Mr. Z was still a toddler. Over ten years ago, maybe?  I remember telling the boy I worked with  about her, them, the book.  I am embarrassed to admit, I did not get her first name.  I only went to a state school, sheesh! Though this writer is clearly not comparable to me in terms of her accolades, achievements, and swanky collegiate background, I felt like I could know her.  Though she'd maybe talk down to me a teense if we met, I feel like she'd mostly be approachable.  And if she were a snot, at least she would have a right to be, unlike the ever so many state school ECE grads I've met these days who truly suck. A lot.  Really?  You majored in Education?  And you do not realize you're lame and and annoying?

The title story, "Out of The Girls' Room and Into the Night" blew me away on a few levels, mostly for its simultaneous girly and lyrical quality.  Adored it.  You can find the book's description, of course, here: http://www.amazon.com/Out-Girls-Room-Into-Night/dp/038572053X

Here is what the book's cover looks like (kind of post camp counselor-sh):



I also loved how she was super attractive, but not overly hip or too, too pretty: 



I could have been her, again, sans the upper east side upbringing. and also, sans the ability to roll out analogies with adorable, almost sophistication. Analogies ripping quick, rolling deep, effortless like lipgloss out of a purse and onto almost pretty lips.  

I tries to read her novel, but was not interested.  It seemed forced and pretentious.  But her short stories have stayed present, in the knuckle of my mind.  Phrases like, "The night went off like a gun in a car,"  are etched into my memory and define, for me, what good writing sounds and even feels like.  She had a later book, and I think it was a novel that read like inter connected stories or it was another book of short stories; I am too lazy to look this up.  It was called, The Good People of New York.  I read this, too.  And I liked it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment